As a citizen of one of the EWR countries you don’t need a visa to study in Germany. Member states of EWR are the countries of the European Union as well as Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.
As a citizen of a third country you must usually apply for a student visa with a German representation abroad before your entry. The procedure corresponds to that for short stay visas (see above).
You need in addition
- a notice of admission of the university
- possibly proofs of entrance examinations and study certificates
- possibly a certificate of good conduct issued by the police
- possibly written statements why you wish to study in Germany
- possibly proof of sufficient living space.
If you don’t know yet at which university you will study, you may possibly apply for a “Studienbewerbervisum” (visa for a university candidate).
Citizens of one of the following countries can apply for a student visa with the responsible immigration authority also after their entry:
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
Responsible is the immigration authority of the community where you will have your place of residence.
We advise you to bring to Germany all school leaving and university diplomas in the original and in certified translation.